Research Scientist – Fish Nutrition
Experienced, capable, and passionate about the aquaculture nutrition sector? We have an outstanding opportunity for a talented individual to provide leadership at The Center for Aquaculture Technologies (CAT), a private aquaculture innovation and research company. CAT is seeking a Research Scientist in Fish Nutrition in Souris, PE. This is a full-time, Permanent, position and will begin with the successful candidate report to the Director of Fish Nutrition.
The successful candidate will be customer-focused and experienced in applied animal nutrition research. Candidates must have excellent writing skills, and experience in and be prepared to carry out research trials using live fish of multiple species in compliance with CAT’s Quality Assurance program and Animal Care guidelines. Priority will be given to candidates with experience in digestive and/or muscle histology. They must be independent, creative thinkers with the ability to multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Excellent communication skills along with problem-solving expertise are essential. This is an exciting opportunity to have a big impact in a key area of growth for our business, servicing both internal requirements, and an external customer base.
Not necessarily from within the Aquaculture sector, but with a proven track record in animal nutrition, the successful candidate will be experienced in writing scientific reports, publishing in peer-reviewed journals and trade magazines, and have strong expertise in histological techniques. This is an important scientific position within the CATC team, scaling with activity.
We’re looking for a pragmatic team player, who has a proven track record of delivery, unafraid to get their hands dirty, and has the ambition to match our own ambitions.
- Participate in the development of the project rationale including the use of literature and research databases to build project proposals and budget.
- Demonstrate an aptitude for communication of scientific results through the publication of articles in peer-reviewed journals and trade magazines and presentation on abstracts at scientific meetings.
- Conduct histological examination of fish tissues using microscopy and apply histological techniques (fixation, embedding, sectioning, staining, and mounting).
- Worked both independently and as part of a team to achieve a research objective. The successful candidate may be responsible for the supervision of interns and aquaculture technologists
- Managed research projects on nutrient digestibility, feed efficiency, growth performance with fresh/marine cold/warm water species
- Carried out data acquisition, analysis, interpretation, and reporting/verification of results
- Shown a strong work ethic with the ability to set objectives and deliver results in a timely manner.
- Exhibited an ability to troubleshoot and propose creative solutions to technical problems encountered during the conduct of scientific research.
- Proven themselves to be good team players with the ability to both supervise and respond well to supervision.
Desired skills/ experience/ competencies:
- A minimum University degree including Aquaculture; Animal Nutrition, Animal Biology. Masters or Ph.D. seen as an advantage, but not essential.
- Histology experience
- Experience working in a laboratory setting including responsibility for documenting tasks.
- Ability to work as part of a team in compliance with facility standard operating procedures.
- Research experience in a strictly controlled regulatory environment will be considered an asset.
- Willingness to learn new skills and to perform routine tasks.
- Demonstrable organizational skills with the ability to multi-task.
- Self-motivated with a demonstrated ability to think creatively and solve problems.
- Fosters a positive work environment congruent with the company values and philosophy.
- Commitment to CAT’s Core Purpose: Dedication to and passion for CAT’s core purpose: We are driven by the transformative potential of aquaculture. To feed the world, support the environment, and sustain the planet. Our purpose is to unlock this potential.
CAT offers a competitive salary and benefits package commensurate with experience.
Closing date: May 31, 2021, or until the position is filled.
Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.