CAT is a full-service organization that can integrate and customize services to maximize project value.
The Center for Aquaculture Technologies (CAT) is a leader in Aquaculture Research & Solutions. We are a full-service organization that integrates and customizes our services in order to maximize your project value.
Integrated Services Scenario #1
Breeding program design and support for emerging species
Genotyping to support breeding program
Breeding program identifies disease resistance as a breeding goal.
CAT health team can provide:
- controlled disease challenges
- evaluation of treatments and vaccines under controlled conditions
- consultation on design of field studies and analysis of results.
Growth performance and quality of fish can be improved by understanding the nutritional requirements of the emerging species.
CAT nutrition team can:
- consult to review literature and conduct studies to determine the basic nutritional requirements of each life stage
- formulate, produce and evaluate the efficacy of new feeds.
Integrated Services Scenario #2
A client has developed a novel feed ingredient that they believe will contribute nutritional and functional value to the diet of Atlantic salmon. CAT nutrition team can analyze samples, formulate and produce diets and evaluate the nutritional value of the ingredient in digestibility and growth studies.
After feeding the new ingredient to the fish, the CAT health team can challenge the fish with target pathogens to determine the functional value of the new ingredient by comparing survival, growth and other outcomes relative to control diets.
The client would like to know what physiological pathways in the fish might be altered by including the new ingredient in the diet.
The CAT genotyping and genomics teams can:
- evaluate the gene expression profile in treated and control fish and compare them to determine which genes may be turned off or on when fish are fed the new ingredient
- understanding which genes are turned off or on will help the client understand how and why their product is effective.
Our research teams and fully equipped facilities are well positioned to support a diverse range of projects from discovery through final product development and testing.